Based in Rotterdam, Netherlands
Antegods is an action-packed arena game in which the remnants of the Mayan civilization have taken to space. Two teams of 4 players each control customizable stonepunk mechs to hunt for energy and fight off opponents in a procedurally generated and highly destructible map. The ultimate goal is to activate enormous ‘titan’ statues that will bring explosive mayhem down upon the enemy team. Whoever wins these tactical battles climbs an intergalactic tournament ladder, ultimately becoming gods themselves.
At Codeglue, we’re creating a unique story universe, assembling elements of ancient culture and science fiction into something we’ve dubbed ‘stonepunk'. This universe will not just be explored in the game, but in an accompanying comic book series too. This will tell the Antegods tournament’s backstory by following four adolescent pilots seeking out glory accross the vast and majestic gulf of space.
The first ideas for Antegods started in 2014. Back then we were considering a more tactical version of our arcade shooter Rocket Riot. We knew we wanted to keep the jetpack controlled characters and destructible landscapes but felt that it needed deeper and more strategic gameplay. The first name for the game we considered was GlitchForce1, but eventually we came up with Antegods. The backstory with warring Gods and their Mayan worshippers started to fill our heads with lots of great ideas. The first playable prototype we created for Gamescom stayed very close to the original Rocket Riot visuals. So most of the remarks we got were, hey is that Rocket Riot 2? And that was not what we were after! So in early 2015 we decided to start over. We developed a new visual style and came up with lots of new game ideas. After securing some funding through grants (Gamefonds and EU) during the Summer of 2015, we upscaled the team and the game is now in full development.
We recently demonstrated a pre-Alpha version of Antegods at events like insomnia58, Nordic Game and First Look. This version demonstrated the core gameplay of the game and validated some of the design choices we had made. We gathered valuable feedback and lovely compliments during these events. Thanks!
We are also working on making the multiplayer technology more solid and expanding on the character customization options. An updated version of Antegods will be shown at multiple gaming events towards the end of the year. In the meantime we will regularly do blog posts on our website and send out newsletters to give some insights in the development: blog.codeglue.com.
Our goal is to release the game on Steam and build a community of competitive fans who will help in making it a great game. We're getting closer to that with every milestone.
- Stonepunk universe - A novel blend of ancient Mayan culture with science fiction brought to life in-game and in a comic
- Action-packed 4x4 arena battles - Team up with friends online or split-screen, and wreck your opponents in highly destructible procedurally generated maps.
- Battle with massive titans - Teams hunt for silk, the energy spread across the map, to activate their dormant ‘titan’ and cooperatively control it to annihilate the enemy team.
- Modify your stonepunk mech - Customizable mechs to match your unique play style; pick your own body, weapon and jetpack wings.
- Strategize with your team - Deep tactical gameplay with a focus on team collaboration. Fortify your team’s position on the map and outsmart the enemy team.
- Competitive online play - Our online matchmaking sets up exciting matches to climb an intergalactic ladder, making Antegods ready for eSports tournaments.
Antegods is supported by the Dutch Cultural Media Fund, Cultural Industries Fund NL and the MEDIA Programme of the European Union.
Antegods GDC 2016 Announcement Trailer YouTube
Showmatch incl. commentary YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "The MIX Developer Showcase Selection" - GDC 2017
- "European Showcase Selection" - GDC 2017
- "The MIX + Patreon Developer Showcase Selection" - GDC 2016
- "Nordic Game Indie Day Selection" - Nordic Game 2016
- "INDIGO @ Campus Party Selection" - Campus Party 2016
- "Indie Zone Selection" - Insomnia58 2016
- "INDIGO Selection" - INDIGO 2016
Antegods concept artwork featured on the Indiecade artwall! indiecade.tumblr.com.
Keep up to date on the development of Antegods blog.codeglue.com.
Antegods on IndieDB
Antegods game information on IndieDB indiedb.com.
Codeglue is a small independent Dutch game studio that creates games with a focus on pure simple and original gameplay. We develop our games for the latest generation of consoles, PC, smartphones and VR.
More information on Codeglue, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Peter de Jong
Snr. Game producer
Niels 't Hooft